Thursday, October 8, 2026

STEPHEN COUGHLIN: The Latin word for worship is adoratio, adoration. Adoration belongs to God alone. The Latin term for venerate is veneror; hence, the veneration of saints, including Mary.

from Stephen Coughlin, 

The Latin word for worship is adoratio, adoration. Adoration belongs to God alone. The Latin term for venerate is veneror; hence, the veneration of saints, including Mary. In English, the two can collapse into the same meaning, whereas in Latin, they have a fixed dogmatic separation. Fair enough, the translation you provided blurred that line. The prayer was written in Latin, and says 'veneror', and in better translations it says "I venerate you":

"Te, magna Regina, veneror, et gratias tibi ago pro multis gratiis, quas usque hodie mihi concessisti" [Translation: "I revere you, great Queen, and I thank you for the many favors you have granted me until today."]

No comments:

Post a Comment