Friday, December 31, 2021

"The peer reviewers and the editors of the medical journals don't get to see the data"

From Joe Rogan Interview, #1756

Regarding litigation surrounding Pfizer's arthritis drug, Bextra, Pfizer's behavior was so outrageous that I picked up the phone called the Department of Justice and said I know a lot about this drug but I can't tell you because I've signed a confidentiality agreement as an expert.  So the Dept. of Justice and the FBI sent me a subpoena and said that you must come with your computer and tell us what they did wrong, and I did.  6 months later, I read in the newspaper that the Department of Justice had found that the company had committed a felony and were dealt the largest fine in U.S. history, the largest criminal fine in U.S. history.  So I know what happened, but I can't tell you.  

The drug companies own the data of the clinical trials.  The peer reviewers and the editors of the medical journals don't get to see the data.  They have to take the word of the drug companies that they've presented the data accurately and reasonably completely.  And you only get to see it in litigation 5 years later.

So the data is only held by the pharmaceutical companies--they release their analysis of the data.  

Correct.

Them the peer reviewers doing everything that was based on the analysis of the data by the pharmaceutical companies?

Correct.

That's insane.

That's insane.

Rogan deliberately talks in circles.

His name is Dr. John Abramson, a Harvard Medical School Lecturer and National Drug Litigation Expert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment